YouTube terminated Russell Brand’s ability to monetize his presence on the platform this week, effective immediately, meaning he will no longer be able to earn money from views of his videos.
Breitbart News said that the move came after several women said that the UK comedian-turned-influencer had sexually assaulted them.
The AP says YouTube said that Brand’s account, which currently has 6.6 million followers, can’t make money because “serious allegations have been made against the creator.” His agent also stopped working with him.
“This ruling is applicable to all channels that Russell Brand might own or run,” the video service, which is owned by Google, stated.
Brand, who is 48 years old, strongly rejects that he sexually assaulted four women. These claims were first made public through a Channel 4 program and in newspapers such as The Times and Sunday Times.
One of the victims, whose names have not been released, said she was raped by him when she was 16 and had a relationship with him. In 2012, another woman claims that Brand raped her in LA.
Less than a day after prominent British lawmakers requested authorities to look into the situation, YouTube was suspended.
Since then, the comedian’s final live performances have been pushed back.